1. What is the difference between PSC and MOE Teaching Scholarships and the difference between the OMS(T) and the EMS?
Students who have been awarded a PSC Teaching Scholarship will automatically be placed on the Management Associates Programme (MAP). Upon graduation from university, all scholars will go through NIE for a year, and then serve out their bond in their parent ministry for the first two years. They can look forward to a posting to another ministry for their next two years in service. Thereafter, they could either return to MOE or serve in the Administrative Service. Male PSC scholars will also be granted NS disruption to pursue their undergraduate studies.

MOE Teaching Scholarship / Award holders will serve out their bond in MOE, but they will be given opportunities to experience challenging and meaningful work both in schools and MOE HQ. Male scholars will have to complete their NS before proceeding for their undergraduate studies.

All scholars will be given comprehensive development programmes that will be geared towards the teaching profession. This will stand them in good stead when they return to the Teaching Service upon graduation.

Development and Career Opportunities
1. What programmes are available to develop me as a scholar?
All teaching scholars and award holders can look forward to participating in a wide array of interesting and exciting programmes and activities, before and during their undergraduate studies.

For a start, all newly awarded scholars and award holders will attend an Induction Course where they will have an opportunity to learn more about the Singapore Education System as well as the latest developments/initiatives. Teaching scholars will also attend a 3 to 4 day course at Outward Bound Singapore.

In addition, the overseas scholars will get the chance to attend a specially tailored Pre-Departure Course (including workshops and a cooking class!) where they will learn useful life-skills on how to cope with living and studying overseas, as well as interact and bond with returning seniors.

During their undergraduate studies, scholars and award holders will also have the opportunity to participate in various activities that will enhance their exposure and interaction. These include attachments to schools, attending overseas conferences, student exchange programmes, and engaging in regular dialogue sessions with senior MOE officials. Teaching scholars will also attend a 1-week Development in Public Policies Seminar which serves to equip scholars with broader perspectives on policy-making in the wider Civil Service, and to better appreciate the challenges faced by the various Ministries, including MOE.

OMS(T), L-OMS(T) and EMS scholars can also look forward to challenging and fulfilling attachments to MOE Headquarters and Overseas Attachments to foreign educational institutions, during their vacations.

Apart from MOE programmes, scholars and award holders are often encouraged to broaden their horizons and experiences through active participations in Student Exchange Programmes, Field Trips, Community Involvement Projects, just to name a few. We will also consider sponsoring some of these activities, to support our scholars‘ participation.

2. What is the career path like for a teaching scholar / award holder?
Upon completion of the Postgraduate Diploma in Education programme at NIE, a teaching scholar/award holder would be posted to a secondary school or junior college to teach for about 2 to 3 years, to gain useful and relevant experience in a school environment. He/she can apply and look forward to a posting to MOE HQ for the next 2 to 3 years to gain greater exposure in other areas, such as policy formulation, planning and curriculum work. With both school and HQ experiences, the scholar/award holder would be more ready to take on positions of higher responsibility, along the Teaching, Leadership or Senior Specialist Track.

3. Will I have opportunities to pursue postgraduate studies immediately after my first degree?
Scholars/award holders who obtain at least 2nd Upper Honours can apply to pursue a Master’s degree in a local or overseas university immediately after obtaining their first degree. Scholars with 1st Class Honours can also apply for a MOE Master’s Sponsorship for their postgraduate studies.

Another option that is popular among serving teachers is to apply for a MOE Postgraduate Scholarship or to consider other Professional Development Schemes (e.g. Study Leave, Study Loans) to pursue a further degree after they have gained a few years of teaching experience. This option allows them to tap on their teaching experience to better appreciate what they learn when pursuing their postgraduate degree. Also, the range of subjects available is wider – scholars can consider studying pure content subjects, or others like Educational Policy and Administration.

Application Details
1. How can I apply for a PSC / MOE scholarship if my preliminary results are not out yet?
Candidates are encouraged to apply during their 2nd year in JC, around September, when the online applications open. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their other school and academic records, such as co-curricular activities and psychometric test scores. PSC will approach the JCs directly for the preliminary results of shortlisted candidates towards the end of their JC2, as interviews will only be conducted from January of the following year.

2. How does a student go about applying for a scholarship/award? Does he have to indicate his choice of scholarship or award in his application?
Students who are interested in a PSC or MOE Teaching Scholarship should submit their applications online via the PSC Gateway from 1st September to 10 days after the release of the ‘A’ Level results. Students would only need to indicate the type of Service they wish to apply for (e.g. Teaching, Legal Service, Foreign Service, etc.) in the online application.
Students who are keen on the MOE Teaching Award should download the application form and submit it with all supporting documents. The Ministry will then assess the applicant’s suitability for the various types of teaching scholarships and awards, at the interview.

3. Will I be called up early for my interview if I apply for the scholarship before the release of the ‘A’ Level results?
As far as possible, MOE tries to interview applicants early. However, given the large number of scholarship applications that we receive annually, we may interview some of the applicants only after the release of the GCE ‘A’ Level results. Nevertheless, we would still encourage interested candidates to submit their applications early.

4. When is the closing date for scholarship and award applications?
All applications must be made through the internet. The closing date is about 10 days after the release of the GCE ‘A’ Level results. Please check the PSC Gateway and MOE TEACH websites during the release of the GCE ‘A’ Level results to find out the deadline for applications.

5. When should I indicate my preference for local or overseas studies?
Applicants can indicate their choice of study in the application form. If they are unable to decide at the point of application, they can always indicate their preference for local or overseas studies at the interview.

6. If I was not shortlisted or was rejected by PSC for a PSC Teaching Scholarship, does it mean that I have to re-apply to MOE for the other scholarships / awards?
Students who were not shortlisted or were rejected by PSC need not re-apply to MOE. PSC will pass the applicant’s information to MOE, whereupon we will consider the applicant for other types of teaching scholarships.

7. If I had previously rejected MOE’s offer of a Teaching Scholarship/Award, will I be considered if I re-apply subsequently?
As long as you meet the requirements for a teaching scholarship / award, you will be considered in competition with the other applications received.

University Application
1. Would MOE advise male JC students to apply for a university now, as they might have to complete their NS before commencing their university course?
For male JC students who are interested in a PSC teaching scholarship, they should apply for a university soon as they would be eligible for NS disruption. For other male teaching scholars/award holders, they should apply for university admission as early as possible, bearing in mind that some overseas universities will only allow them to defer their placement for one year.

2. Which countries does MOE send its scholars to?

MOE has sent teaching scholars to Australia, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, the UK and the US. We are always on the lookout for good universities in other countries (e.g. New Zealand and Canada) and welcome you to further discuss your choice of university and country of study with our scholarship officers.

3. Does MOE have a list of recognised universities? Do I have a choice with regard to the university I attend?
MOE does not have such a list as we are not the authority to assess or grant recognition to qualifications obtained from foreign and local institutions. MOE does not mandate your choice of university, as long as the course offered by the university is relevant and prepares you well for your future career with the Education Service.

4. Does PSC or MOE apply to the universities, on behalf of its scholars?

Generally, students are strongly encouraged to apply to the local or overseas universities of their choice, concurrently with their scholarship/award application. This is to ensure timely admission into university, upon confirmation of the scholarship or award. For students who are keen to study in Japan or China, PSC / MOE will assist you with your university application, after your acceptance of the scholarship.

5. Can I study Science subjects or Maths in countries like Japan, France or Germany?
The Ministry is supportive of sending teaching scholars to pursue Humanities or Science subjects in non-English speaking countries, as long as they demonstrate good ability and confidence to cope with the rigour and challenge of pursuing their studies in the country’s native language.

6. How would students find out about the application deadline for these overseas universities?
Students are encouraged to refer to the respective universities’ websites for the application deadlines.

7. If I decide to take up a teaching scholarship/award after my first year of undergraduate studies at NUS, will MOE grant me back-payment for the first year and will the bond period be pro-rated?
No. There will not be any back-payment for the first year of study. MOE will sponsor you from your second year onwards. The bond period for a local scholarship/award will remain as 4 years.