FAQs on PA Scholarship
Applying for the PA Scholarship
- When can I apply for the PA Scholarship?
Application for the Undergraduate Scholarship will open in mid December and close two weeks after the release of 'A' level results in March.
- What are the scholarship eligibility criteria?
• Singapore citizen
• The PA offers both local and overseas undergraduate scholarships for 'A' level or diploma graduates with exemplary results gaining entry into a local or overseas university or for mid-term undergraduates who have completed at least two semesters of undergraduate studies with exemplary results.
• Possess leadership qualities displayed through active participation in Co-Curriculum Activities (CCA) and/or community/volunteer service, especially in leadership positions.
• Love to work with people
- When will I know if I have been short-listed for selection?
The selection process will take place between March and May.
- What is the selection process like?
The selection process will include interviews and written assessments.
- If I'm going for my National Service (NS), do I apply after I have received my GCE 'A' Level results or after I've completed NS?
For male applicants, you do not have to wait until you have completed NS. You can also apply as soon as you received your GCE 'A' Level results. If you are successful in your application, an offer will be made to you. Upon accepting our offer, we will hold the scholarship for you until you have completed your NS.
- Can I defer my NS?
No. You are not allowed to defer NS to take up the Scholarship earlier.
Fees & Financial Matters
- What does the scholarship cover?
• Full tuition and compulsory fees
• Monthly maintenance allowance
• Pre-studies allowance
• Sponsorship for approved student exchange programme
• Sponsorship of Master’s degree (if requirements are met)
• Return airfare (for overseas universities)
• Medical/Health insurance (where required by the university)
- How long is the bond?
The Local Undergraduate Scholarship and the Overseas Undergraduate Scholarship will carry a bond of four years and six years respectively. This is also applicable to mid-term scholars, regardless of the year of study which the mid-term scholar is awarded the scholarship. The scholarship will cover the course fees for all the years of study for a mid-term scholar.
The University and Courses I choose
- What courses does PA support?
Scholars may pursue any course of study that has relevance to the different areas of work at PA. The recommended choice of study includes Community Development, Human Resource Management / Human Resource Development, Organisational Learning / Organisational Development, Mass Communication, Project Management, Public Policy Studies, Psychology, Social Work, Business Administration, Accountancy, Marketing, Sociology, Gerontology and Political Science.
- What about a Master's degree?
We encourage scholars to start work with PA after their bachelor degree to gain the important domain knowledge of field work. After working for a few years, the scholar can apply for the PA full-time/part-time in-service scholarship for postgraduate studies. However, overseas scholars who are keen to add diversity and depth to their undergraduate academic experience can apply for sponsorship of Master’s programme, subject to considerations like attaining excellent undergraduate results.
- Is there a list of approved universities that I should apply to?
The undergraduate scholarships are applicable to courses at renowned overseas universities and five local universities, namely National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Management University, Singapore University of Technology and Design and Singapore Institute of Technology.
Opportunities to experience life in PA (before I start work)
- Are scholars given the opportunity to intern with PA?
Yes, scholars will be given internship opportunities during their studies so as to understand more about PA and to gain ground experience. Depending on the vacancies and the interest of the scholars, they would be attached to various divisions in PA such as Youth, Sports, Active Ageing & Family Life and Constituency Office. There would also be a mentor assigned to the scholar during the internship to ensure a positive and meaningful experience for the scholar.